Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Happy Pills

So I was driving to work the other day and I got to thinking about what people use as a "pick-me-up" to get them going. I am one who loves Mountain Dew. I don't "need" to have one in the morning (meaning that I will not die if I don't have one) but I am clearly a different person when I do have one. I certainly crave a dew when I haven't have one and boy does it feel great once I finally do!
An awesome friend of mine is the same way but not with Mountain Dew. Her's is vitamins. The legal, good kind for all you sports fans who immediately thought of A-Rod or Manny Ramirez when I mention "vitamins." Those things pick her right up when she is in a bad mood or is feeling down. They are truely her "happy pills" that is for sure.
I used to work right next to a Starbucks (when I say right next to I mean I could smell coffee through the walls!) and I saw so many regular customers there that had to have their morning coffee/whateveraccino drink they needed to start their day. We all have certainly met that person or persons who are crabby and shouldn't even be spoken to before their morning cup o'joe.
So all of this put the question in my head of how and why so many....I'll even say most people have to have some sort of fix to get going. What happened to waking up to the sun rising to wake us up? I know that people these days rely more on drugs than ever before. You know, getting whatever medication when he or she has a slight cough or depression meds just becuase you are having a couple bad days in a row. Have we as a society turned to relying on outside influences just to wake up everyday?
Personally, I think it is pretty sad when it is put into perspective. This country has gone from physical farmers who woke up at the butt crack of dawn to one that is dependent on energy drinks and coffee.
So let me end with this. Do you think I am off base here? What are your "happy pills" to get your day going?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting perspective. I like a strong cup of black coffee myself.

    Shane

    http://bdgjm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete